Whether you’re participating in a cookie exchange with friends, baking with the kids or making a treat for Santa Claus, you’ll want to add these adorable reindeer cookies to your holiday baking this year.
As sweet to look at as they are to eat, the salty pretzel antlers complement the season’s favourite flavours of ginger, cinnamon cloves and sweet molasses. These homemade treats won’t break the bank either. Costing $0.25 each, buying all ingredients at Walmart can help stretch your holiday dollars further.
Ginger-Molasses Reindeer Cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Makes: 35 cookies
• 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) flour
• 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
• 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cloves
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, softened
• 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
• 1 egg
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) fancy molasses
• 70 mini pretzel twists
• 1 package (200 g) prepared red cookie icing
• 70 candy eyeballs
1. Heat oven to 325F (160C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt and cloves.
3. In a large bowl using a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy; about 2 minutes. Add egg and molasses, mixing until fully combined. In 2 equal parts, add flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
4. Roll dough into 1 tbsp. (15 mL) balls and place on prepared baking sheets 1 1/2 inches apart, pressing down lightly with palm. Place two pretzels next to one another 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) inside the edge of each cookie to resemble antlers; press pretzels lightly to adhere to cookie dough.
5. Bake in batches until just set; about 12 minutes. Let cool 4 minutes on sheets before cooling completely on racks. Once cooled, use cookie icing to adhere candy eyeballs to cookies and draw noses. Allow to set completely.
Find more great recipes online at walmart.ca/recipes.