Guest Post By: Julie Brunjes
Birthdays come on the same day every year. What I didn’t expect was how hard it was going to be to come up with fun yet creative birthday party ideas for my tween year after year. Gone are the days of playrooms and backyard parties and behold the “birth” of my tween daughter.
My daughter’s birthday is in May and every year around March we start throwing around ideas for a party (I have the added pressure of being in the event industry – so my daughter and her friends have high expectations every year). There needs to be the perfect balance between being “FUN” and being “COOL”. The key to a great party is to involve your child right from the start, they know what they want and they also have some really good ideas. It makes the planning process much more fun when you do it together.
Here is a list of our top and most successful birthday parties to date (remember I have a daughter – but some of these work for boys as well!)
1. Chocolatier – chocolate themed party (need I say more….)
2. Picasso Party –bring out the artist in each child (but in a studio, on large canvas – lounge setting)
3. Spa Party – manicures, pedicures, makeovers, fashion shows and a walk on the catwalk
4. Magician – “how to…the magic behind the tricks”
5. Be a Star – recording studio & video (professional studio and VIP red carpet treatment)
6. A Night on the Town – go to a play, concert or in our case Medieval Times
7. Be the Cake Boss – cake decorating
8. Camp “DD” – at DD’s summer camp and we do her favourite activities
9. Pool Party & BBQ – this may be your first step into co-ed parties (make sure you’re ready)
10. Slumber Party – movie night
Whatever theme you decide, always remember it is a celebration and that the most important thing is to MAKE MEMORIES! Take pictures, my DD and her friends think I am crazy with the camera but the photos are priceless when we look back at them.
Happy planning and be sure to check back for my “how-to” for each theme.
What party ideas have been big hits with your tween?
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
About Julie Brunjes
Julie has spent twelve years in the Events Industry, specializing in creating Themed Events for Corporate Events, Trade Shows, Conference, Galas, Fundraisers, Weddings and Private Functions. Stardust Events has won many National Awards for their work and through ISES has had nominations for their work on an international level. Julie was awarded the Spirit of the Industry Award for outstanding contributions to the Canadian Event Industry. Stardust Events takes your idea and creates the environment.