Never before has shopping for glasses been so much fun!
I remember the first time I admitted to my mom that I thought I needed glasses. I think I was in grade 7, and I was absolutely mortified by the idea of having to wear glasses. Glasses for kids didn’t seem to be very prevalent when I was growing up, and being a “geek” wasn’t cool at all. Geekiness just gave people a reason to make fun of you, and glasses definitely made you geeky.
I had actually been hiding the fact that I couldn’t see the blackboard at school for well over a year by the time I told my mom. I finally decided it was time to come clean and face the music. I cried my eyes out telling her, but she somehow convinced me that it was not the end of the world. Of course she was right, and off to the eye doctor we went…
Picking out my first set of glasses was NOT a fun experience at all, but the difference being able to see properly made was a big consolation, and I’ve been a dedicated glasses wearer ever since.
My prescription has changed many times over the years, which means I’ve had to shop for glasses quite a few times. Trying to figure out which frames to pick has always been a challenge for me, which is why I was pleasantly surprised during my recent experience shopping for new glasses at the Grand Opening of Shoppes of Angus Glen Optometry in Markham.
With so many different styles to choose from, picking out new glasses can quickly get overwhelming. That’s why it’s great to be able to have an experienced frame stylist to help guide in your selection and narrow down which frames look best on you.
The staff at Shoppes of Angus Glen Optometry were so helpful in giving me advice when I was trying on various frames and were super patient when I was having trouble deciding. They made my shopping experience fun – I’m sure that’s the first time I’ve ever described an eyeglass purchase as a fun experience – and I really felt like they wanted me to be 100% satisfied with my decision.
Once we had an idea of the styles and shapes that suited my face and personality the best, we were able to narrow the search a bit and came up with half a dozen that I liked.
With the final 6, they took photos of me in each of the glasses with my camera phone so I could compare them easier.
This was so helpful in narrowing the selection down further, and ultimately reaching my final decision. Getting opinions through Facebook and Instagram also helped me decide that I had made the right decision. (Selfies work well too, if you don’t have someone else to take pics for you).
Here are some tips from the experts at the Shoppes of Angus Glen Optometry on choosing the perfect eyewear for you:
- Your face shape is an important consideration. Frames that contrast the natural shape of your face is quite completing. For example, square shaped faces would best be suited with oval or round rectangles, while rounder faces are complemented by rectangular frames.
- Eyes should be well centered in the frame. A frame too wide may make the eyes seem too close together.
- Sunglasses are just as important as your regular glasses. Just like sunscreen protects your skin, sunglasses protect your eyes. Have fun with beautiful bold colours and oversized styles.
- Don’t be afraid to have fun! Glasses are such an important accessory, and since they are worn on your face they should reflect your personality. Don’t be afraid of colour, bold looks and trying something out of your comfort zone. You may want to consider getting an extra pair or two, to change up your look or mood for the day. Just think – we don’t own just 1 purse or 1 pair of shoes so why just 1 pair of glasses?
- Glasses are a great accessory to put a finishing touch on any outfit. And especially for us busy moms— you can run out of the house without make up and in sweats and a t-shirt and transform the look with a gorgeous pair of glasses or sunglasses.
If you’re in the market for new glasses or sunglasses, I’d recommend paying a visit to Shoppes of Angus Glen Optometry. (Eye exams are available if you need one). They are located at 9980 Kennedy Rd (at Major Mackenzie) in Markham.
**Tweenhood readers can save 20% off the cost of new eyewear between now and July 15th!**
Contest alert: In celebration of their Grand Opening, Angus Glen Optometry is holding an amazing contest – they are giving away a round of golf for two at Angus Glen Golf Club in Markham plus a pair of Oakley sunglasses! This prize is valued at $600! Enter the contest by June 28th on their Facebook page for a chance to win!
This post was sponsored by Shoppes of Angus Glen Optometry. As always, all opinions expressed are my own.
About Kathy Sima
Kathy is a blogger and freelance writer and mom of two teens who gave up her career as a financial advisor when her son was diagnosed with autism at age 3. When it comes to parenting, Kathy truly believes there is strength in numbers and knows that sharing stories and strategies with other parents has helped keep her sane (so far!)