Over the long weekend, we checked out the Spirit of Halloween for festive, spooky and creepy decorations (if you haven’t been, it’s definitely worth the visit). Their displays were elaborate and scary, even in daylight with lots of people around (yes – I’m a wimp). My daughter chose not to walk in front of the displays as she didn’t know if anything would pop out at her. Most did something when a button was pressed (jumping spider for example). But enough about that, we’re here to talk popular tween Halloween costumes.
I have to say I was impressed with the vast selection of Halloween costumes in the store. I was especially surprised they even had a “tween” section. Most places lump them in the kids section, so it was nice to see that this group had their own area. Although depending on your tween’s size, they may also fit into adult small sizes as well. This may give you some more options than just the tween section. However, keep in mind most costumes for women are not appropriate for tweens with costumes like Twerkin Teddy (aka Miley), Racy Raccoon or Hatter Hottie.
Based on my unscientific observations, here’s my list of popular costumes for tween boys and girls this Halloween.
1) Anything Minecraft. Many kids noticed the foam pickaxe, sword and cardboard Steve head. This makes for a easy costume as Steve wears a green shirt and blue pants.
2) Zombies. Thanks to the hit television show The Walking Dead, it’s all about zombies this Halloween. There’s the zombie cheerleader, zombie bride, Walking Dead zombie child, you name it, there’s a zombie costume for it. Better yet, this would make an easy DIY as well since it’s all about the makeup.
3) Hunger Games. With the sequel hitting theatres shortly, Katniss Everdeen costumes will be huge hits with tween girls. Although we didn’t see actual “Katniss” costumes (we may have missed it), Robin Hood and Huntress costumes were in low supply thanks to Katniss and the Hunger Games. In fact, as quickly as I saw a sales clerk put the one tween Robin Hood costume back on the shelf, it was quickly snatched up by a eager tween and her mom.
4) Superheroes. Always a hit thanks to Marvel made popular by the likes of Iron Man, Thor and Captain America, the superhero costume is as timeless as ghosts and witches at Halloween.
5) Minions. Made popular by the movie Despicable Me 2 that was out in theatres earlier this year. An easy DIY, if you and your tween rather do it yourself.
6) Monster High. The hit franchise from Mattel have been a huge hit with tween girls with the line of Monster High dolls, movies and books. Since the dolls are ultra fashionable in themselves, they make for a fantastic costume. But it doesn’t end there. Look for other Monster High accessories like wigs, hair clips, socks and makeup kits.
7) Sharknado. Chances are if you’ve never heard of Sharknado, your tween has. The movie was about sharks invading Los Angeles. Do I need to say more?
What did I miss? Sound off below as to what your tween will be wearing for Halloween.
About Wendy Morelli
Wendy loves her 2 kids and her iPhone, not necessarily always in that order. She is an app obsessed mom who loves everything tech and is (unfortunately) old enough to remember the brick Motorola cell phone and the Commodore computer. Her love for technology stems back to the 10+ years of working for technology based companies. Wendy's alter ego, "AppHipMom" has been featured in Canadian Family, iVillage, Women in Biz, EverythingMom, BlogHer and Savvy Mom.