“Mom… what’s for dinner?”
Anybody else dread hearing those words every.single.day? I thought so.
If you’re stuck in a cooking rut, spending too much money on takeout or are concerned that your kids aren’t getting the proper nutrition their growing bodies need, meal planning can help make your life a lot easier. The problem is, with so many resources out there, it can be hard to know where to start and how to keep everything organized.
I recently had the chance to try out the Healthy Kids Inc Meal Planner. Healthy Kids Inc was designed to make it easy for busy parents to create healthy meals for their families. Meal planning is done through the healthykidsinc.com website, which gives you access to a fully customizable weekly meal plan calendar, hundreds of tasty nutritious kid-friendly recipes, cooking and gardening resources and more.
There’s a wide range of different types of recipes on the site, with everything from pasta dishes, sushi and stir fries to Mexican dishes, classic chicken or beef dinners to simple and nutritious lunches and snacks. There are plenty of vegetarian recipes, as well as options for gluten-free or nut-free diets. The recipes are obviously designed with kids in mind, but they don’t scrimp on taste. While the recipes are simple to prepare, I found all of the meals we tried were flavourful and fresh tasting – and the kids loved them too!
Some of our favourite recipes so far have been:
There has not been one recipe yet that I would not make again. Seriously. Next on my list of recipes to try is the Squash and Spinach Lasagna – it looks so good!
What I loved:
- The site is quite easy to use and customize to suit your own needs and family’s preferences.
- The recipes are very simple to prepare and use wholesome ingredients, with a focus on vegetables, whole grains and healthy proteins.
- There is a video for every recipe on the site, which can be very helpful to watch before preparing the recipe. The videos are also an excellent way to get kids involved in helping to prepare meals, as they can see what to do every step of the way.
- There are lots of dinner recipes to choose from – more than enough to eat something different every night for a year if you wanted to!
- The recipes are fresh tasting and delicious – and very kid-friendly.
- You can search for recipes by ingredients, type of meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner) or by dietary restriction (gluten-free, vegetarian or nut-free.)
Room for improvement:
- The number of breakfast and lunch recipes is a bit limited. This was not a big concern for me because I was mostly using the meal planner to plan our dinners, but if you are hoping to use it for other meals too you may wish there were more breakfast or lunch recipes available.
- I loved being able to pull up my saved weekly meal plans and favourite recipes with videos on my phone or iPad. One limitation to accessing the Healthy Kids Inc website through a mobile device is that you cannot create a new meal plan on it – that can only be done from a computer.
I find the pricing for the Healthy Kids Inc Meal Planner to be very reasonable considering everything you get with your subscription. Currently, there are 3 subscription options to choose from:
- $10 for a 1 month subscription
- $25 for a 3 month subscription
- $67 for a 1 year subscription
Healthy Kids Inc subscriptions include access to hundreds of recipes, each with detailed nutritional analysis and a step-by-step video tutorial, customizable weekly meal planner calendar with the ability to save an unlimited amount of favourite recipes and weekly meal plans, customizable and printable grocery list and healthy eating and meal planning tools like weekly podcasts, knife skills and how to cook videos and a Picky Eaters e-book.
This service would easily pay for itself many times over by helping you plan quick and healthy meals and skip having to resort to takeout for dinner!
Want to try out the Healthy Kids Inc. Meal Planning Tool for yourself? We have a coupon code just for Tweenhood readers. Enter TWEEN16 to save $10 off the cost of a quarterly or annual plan at Healthy Kids Inc and see how easy planning healthy and easy meals for your family can be.
Disclosure: I was provided with a free trial for review purposes. This post contains affiliate links and we may receive a commission if you make a purchase after clicking on one of the links.
You may also like:
About Kathy Sima
Kathy is a blogger and freelance writer and mom of two teens who gave up her career as a financial advisor when her son was diagnosed with autism at age 3. When it comes to parenting, Kathy truly believes there is strength in numbers and knows that sharing stories and strategies with other parents has helped keep her sane (so far!)