When your kids reach the tween years, they can be really hard to shop for. We’re here to help, with this list of educational STEM gift ideas that will have your tween learning, and having fun at the same time!
STEM Kits and Subscription Boxes
- Monthly subscription box from Tinker Crate or Creation Crate
- Thames and Kosmos Eco-Battery Vehicles Kit
- Snap Circuits Green Alternative Energy Kit
- Groovy Lab in a Box
- Green Science Kit
- Kuman Robot Car Kit
- K’nex Double Doom Roller Coaster Building Set
- Osmo Gaming Kit for iPad
- Operation Escape Evil game
- Meccano Micronoid
- Kano Computer Kit
Lessons and Workshops
- Online Minecraft Game Design and Coding courses from Connected Camps
- Kids Learning Code workshops
- Digital Media Academy camps and online courses in programming, game design, 3D modelling and more
- Smithsonian Maker Lab: 28 Super Cool Projects
- Rubber Band Engineer: Build Slingshot Powered Rockets, Rubber Band Rifles, Unconventional Catapults, and More Guerrilla Gadgets from Household Hardware
- Coding Games in Scratch
- Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World
- STEAM Kids: 50+ Science / Technology / Engineering / Art / Math Hands-on Projects for Kids
If you’re close to Toronto, another great educational STEM gift idea for tweens is a season’s pass to the Ontario Science Centre. With world class hands-on and engaging activities to teach kids about science in a fun way, there’s always something new to see and learn about with the various exhibitions they bring in throughout the year, in addition to their permanent collection. For instance, in the current Wild Weather exhibition, kids can explore, experiment and brave the elements of intense weather to get a better understanding of the science behind it, its connection to climate change, and emerging technologies and forecasting techniques.
Thanks to the Ontario Science Centre, Tweenhood is giving away a Wild Weather prize pack valued at $200 to one lucky Tweenhood reader.
This prize pack includes:
- 1 multi-pass to the Ontario Science Centre, including the Wild Weather exhibition (up to five people; valued at $110)
- 1 Green Science Weather Station
- 1 DK Eyewitness Weather book
- 1 Windproof Umbrella
- Additional Ontario Science Centre swag (e.g., pencils, buttons)
Enter below for your chance to win. Giveaway starts December 2, 2016 and ends December 15, 2016 at 11:00 pm EST.
This giveaway is open to Canadian residents 18+ only, excluding Quebec. No purchase necessary. A winner will be chosen at random and notified via email. The winner will be required to answer a skill-testing question and have 48 hours to respond, otherwise another winner will be chosen. Prize fulfillment is the responsibility of the prize sponsor. This post contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a small amount if you make a purchase after clicking on one of the links.
You may also like:
About Kathy Sima
Kathy is a blogger and freelance writer and mom of two teens who gave up her career as a financial advisor when her son was diagnosed with autism at age 3. When it comes to parenting, Kathy truly believes there is strength in numbers and knows that sharing stories and strategies with other parents has helped keep her sane (so far!)